Re: [xmca] Pivot or Carrier in play?

Dear all,

Sorry for the delay. It took me a few days to bring this old file into some order.
You will see that I don't use terms like a "pivot", a "carrier" or "fulcrum", but instead I use a term "prop". "Prop", as a term, comes from the theater, where various objects used on stage are called "props". The imagined world that the child is creating in play, like the world on a theater stage -- is "propped" by objects and actions. In my view then and now -- the orientation in the children's utterances and action is to create an imaginary world, rather than to "sever" meanings from their referents in the "here and now" world. Equally important is the fact that objects/actions used to create this imagined world are not "renamed", nor called metaphorically something else. When used as "props", these objects do not exist any more with their own meanings, but like shadows, become meaningless in their own right. And yet, it is not them who assume new meanings of the imagined world, which live in their own right.

All comments are welcome.

Ana

Ana Marjanovic-Shane
Deputy Editor-in-Chief, Dialogic Pedagogy Journal
Associate Professor of Education
Chestnut Hill College
Emails: anamshane@gmail.com
		shaneam@chc.edu