RE: [xmca] Aspergers/ASD

David - that is such a good point. And I think the development
of that binary is reinforced by the kind of opportunities for
social learning provided to those who can "pass" as non-
stigmatized versus those who cannot. The way individuals in
late modern societies have to earn nearly all social roles by
being preferentially chosen (as friends, coworkers, romantic
partners, et cetera), I think, rapidly increases that gap, as
those that need experience most are those least likely to win
it.

Elizabeth

>My son is high-functioning autistic (has been diagnosed and
is being
>treated/educated under that label), and my father had
processing
>difficulties that made it impossible for him to hold a
responsive,
>turn-taking conversation. Watching my father, who was a
successful
>innovator in visual motor training for kids, and myself, who
also has
>processing difficulties, negotiate our social worlds helps me
understand
>how the autism continuum gets socially constructed and
culturally
>reified as a binary: a disability that one either does, or
does not
>have. Social sanctions for autistic behavior are severe. One
loses many
>social opportunities. As a result those who are closer to
society's
>current demarcation point work very hard to simulate
normative
>functioning, creating a fairly wide gap in the behavioral
spectrum
>between those who "are" and those who "are not" disabled. My
son's
>degree of autism precludes him from participating effectively
in
>self-disguise. Presumably, over sociocultural history,
society's

bounces@weber.ucsd.edu]
>On Behalf Of Deborah Rockstroh
>Sent: Sunday, April 08, 2012 6:15 AM
>To: 'eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity'
>Subject: RE: [xmca] Aspergers/ASD
>
>Elizabeth, biological/genetic/neuroscientific arguments aside
(which are
>way out of my field, but more than likely quite critical to a
full
>discussion of this topic), I feel sure there are a minimum of
two
>(academic) arguments that can be framed from the cultural-
historical
>perspective to support the suggestion that
social/cultural/historical
>conditions *might be* contributing towards the *rise* of
autistic
>spectrum disorders:
>1) the concept that development does not occur in a vacuum -
widely
>understood as interaction of nature and nurture (including
the role of
>learning as leading development); and
>2) the notion that those who present the 'symptoms' of being
>'disordered' is itself a construct of a particular culture in
context,
>that is (with some
>imagination) in other times and places perhaps such traits
may have had
>value to a particular group, but in western society, these
traits become
>redundant.
>
>My understanding of autism is limited, but these points
describe my
>understanding about ADHD/ADD, which I've spent an extensive
amount of
>time studying.
>Cheers,
>Deborah
>

>Deborah Rockstroh
>Southern Cross University

list, where I
>> have been lurking for a while. I actually began looking
into CHAT (at
>> Greg's encouragement, after a paper I gave on the subject)
as a way of

>> understanding how social/cultural/historical conditions
might be
>> contributing to the rise of autism spectrum conditions.
Peter, I am
>> looking forward to reading your articles. And I'll put my
question out

>> there, as I am very curious to hear the responses of this
>> group: Do you think there is any possibility that
contemporary
>> conditions
>might be contributing to the rise in *actual cases* of autism
spectrum
>disorder (not just their detection). (I'm thinking in
particular of
>factors such as the individualization of society, the need to
adhere to
>social norms that are less explicit/structured and more based
on
>flexibility in order to win and maintain a social place, and
the
>increased role of mimetic media technology as a means of
socialization).
>So,for example, the two observations David made (that people
may be
>losing opportunities to learn the art of social reasoning at
the same
>time that there is a heightened demand for facility with
decentered
>discourses) might be causing more people not only to be
DIAGNOSED, but
>also to DEVELOP in a way that comes off as socially awkward
and
>excessively "rote".
>>
>> Thoughts?
>>
>> Elizabeth Fein, MA
>> Ph.D. Candidate, University of Chicago Department of
Comparative Human

<xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>

>>> Greg, I'm puzzled by your autism observation. The increase
in
>> autism spectrum conditions (and by calling it a disorder,
you buy into

>> the deficit view of mental health difference) is generally
attributed
>> to better diagnostic efforts in light of continued research
into
>> mental health generally, including autism. I say this as
someone on
>> the spectrum (Asperger's syndrome, which runs in my
family). I've had
>> one paper published on this topic and have a couple more in
press and
>> a few more in the conceptual stage (awaiting time to write
them). I'd
>> be happy to share with others any of the following, if you
write me
>> off-list. I was supposed to give one at ISCAR but couldn't
make the
>> trip; I'll give another at AERA next weekend. p
>>>
>>> 	Smagorinsky, P. (2011). Confessions of a mad
>> professor: An autoethnographic consideration of
neuroatypicality,
>extranormativity, and education. Teachers College Record,
113,
>1701-1732.
>>> 	Smagorinsky, P. (in press). Vygotsky, "defectology,"
>> and the inclusion of people of difference in the broader
cultural
>stream.
>Journal of Language and Literacy Education.
>>> 	Smagorinsky, P. (in press). "Every individual has his
>> own insanity": Applying Vygotsky's work on defectology to
the question

>> of mental health as an issue of inclusion. Learning,
Culture and
>> Social Interaction

wonderful
>> fit for the particular here and now that we inhabit (by
ourselves?)].
>>> -greg

[page
>> 3] when he
>> lack of
>> beginning
were
>> say,
>> Piaget gives
>> the other
>> convince the other *on his own ground*.

>> continuing
>> ability
>> viewed as an
>> *ways* of
>> current
more
>> in New York
>> unintended
>> *social* reasoning.

alone
>> requires
>> novel

Archive

wrote:

>> <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>

>> Language

>>> --
>>> Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.
>>> Sanford I. Berman Post-Doctoral Scholar Laboratory of
Comparative