RE: [xmca] Aspergers/ASD

Elizabeth, biological/genetic/neuroscientific arguments aside (which are way
out of my field, but more than likely quite critical to a full discussion of
this topic), I feel sure there are a minimum of two (academic) arguments
that can be framed from the cultural-historical perspective to support the
suggestion that social/cultural/historical conditions *might be*
contributing towards the *rise* of autistic spectrum disorders:
1) the concept that development does not occur in a vacuum - widely
understood as interaction of nature and nurture (including the role of
learning as leading development); and
2) the notion that those who present the 'symptoms' of being 'disordered' is
itself a construct of a particular culture in context, that is (with some
imagination) in other times and places perhaps such traits may have had
value to a particular group, but in western society, these traits become
redundant.

My understanding of autism is limited, but these points describe my
understanding about ADHD/ADD, which I've spent an extensive amount of time
studying.
Cheers,
Deborah

Deborah Rockstroh