Re: [xmca] Educational neuroscience

Andy--

Luria used, in his work on combined motor method, the most sophisticated
equipment available to him, a kymograph (See below). In his work on
semantic reflexes in the post WW2 era, he used galvanic skin response. In
his autobio (as I recall, have not checked recently) he explicitly sought
with this method to go beyond "the normal "talk" favoured by psychologists"
(Freud and Jung). Later he used eeg.

Sure there is incredible reductionist bs out there. Nothing new. The
challenge is to get usefully
beyond it, which ARL was not bad at.

mike

-------
(complements of wikipedia)

A *kymograph* (which means 'wave writer') is a device that gives a
graphical representation of spatial position over time in which a spatial
axis represents time. It basically consists of a revolving drum wrapped
with a sheet of paper on which a
stylus<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stylus>moves back and forth
recording perceived changes of phenomena such as
motion or pressure.[1] <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kymograph#cite_note-1>

It was invented by German
physiologist<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physiologist> Carl
Ludwig <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Ludwig> in the 1840s and found
its first use as a means to intrusively monitor blood
pressure<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_pressure>,
and has found several applications in the field of
medicine.[2]<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kymograph#cite_note-2>Its
primary use was to measure phenomena such as changes in muscular
contractions or other physiological processes, including speech sounds.
Kymographs were also used to measure atmospheric pressure, tuning fork
vibrations, and the functioning of steam engines.