Re: [xmca] Operations, mental images and emotions (!)

________________________________
 From: Martin Packer <packer@duq.edu>
To: Haydi Zulfei <haydizulfei@rocketmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, 17 April 2013, 3:02:02
Subject: Re: [xmca] Operations, mental images and emotions (!)

Hi Martin

[[I appreciate that you're being brave enough to write in a second language, and I know that much of my confusion stems from that.]]

So grateful because I have this bravery from you . Mutually , I'm so happy you've been enlightened with your confusions through my explications :-)

[[But I've always thought of "reification" as treating something as real and concrete when it is not. Treating a process as an object for example.]]

I'm so sorry that after presenting so many paragraphs as evidence , you still urge on your all-embracing truth-finding potentialities and erudition . All along the terms such as : reified , embodied , materialized , extinguished , crystalized , finished , they use the term : 'alienated' . The finished product is A PRODUCT however ; in other words , on the surface , you see a thing , a product , an object ; but IN ESSENCE , you see a process , relation . And this is the advantage of penetrating the depths . Many a time , there's talk of taking relations between social beings for those between things . It's been so legitimate for you to define the term the way you've presented . Not a bit of a problem .

[[However, when the action of changing gears becomes habitual, it seems to me that one becomes unaware of it even as a process. Nothing seems to be reified in such a habitualization - almost the contrary.]]

The GOAL of being skilled in driving , as you said before , is not something material . But the structure of the activity , as L says , is the same . You're conscious about everything in the early stages . Little by little , everything becomes automatic with you . You've now got the skill , may be called the condensation of the learnings . This is the same as the process which leads , say , to the production of tools . Words and sentences are also reifications because they have lost the ideality which once they were filled with . I don't mean the mere meaning of the word . I mean all the processes the agent had to pass on and all the interactions she had to go through so that a meaning were to be created . Just remember the formations of the concepts with Vygotsky . Now , take the skill is attained but to drive to a destination , you're recommended to use gears 4-5 ; then though it's been already habitualized as you say , you have to connect the activity
 of driving with the changing of the gears which is now the action assigned by a goal .

[[I also don't see how a habitual action becomes unmotivated. Perhaps if I understood the terminology of Leontiev better this would not confuse me. If I have to drive to the store to pick up some milk, the fact that I have learned to change gears smoothly means that I no longer have to maintain the conscious goal of getting into second gear. But it doesn't mean that I am driving (and changing gears) without motive. No, I am changing gears as part of driving the car in order to get the store to buy the milk.]]

With the above , you understood how a habitual action becomes MOTIVATED hopefully ; Now imagine while driving through gears 4-5 you receive a call from the recommender indicating for this or that reason there's no need for you to drive so speedily . give up the task . The motivated habitual action now becomes UNmotivated / demotivated ; you no longer have to drive on that speed .
If you HAVE TO drive for milk (the physician has advised to have the baby drink milk so that her health will be guaranteed) , you're on to an activity and action ; But if it's your routine habitual action of getting it while back home form the work , you're off the activity ; you get it while thinking and acting in one thousand other ways .

[[And no, of course one doesn't have to consciously think about the survival of mankind. But this was rather my point - all sorts of actions and activities are possible without having a "mental image" of what they are in fact accomplishing.]]

This was clearly stated in the paragraphs which was problematic on our previous discussions .

[[It might be helpful for us to take a look at Dreyfus' treatment of skillful coping in pilots. Or Gary Klein's work on the intuitive expertise of fire-fighters. In both cases, actions become habitual without thereby becoming mechanical, or unintelligent, or unmotivated. On the contrary, these are experts who rely on habitualization in order to do their job successfully.]]

Thanks for recommending the articles ; aside from the exchange of some unhealthful points , I especially thank you and everybody else on this forum who've been so kind to tolerate me and to direct me to some understanding . Enormously thankful !!!
Best
Haydi

Martin

Dreyfus, H. L. (2002). Refocusing the question: Can there be skillful coping without propositional representations or brain representations? Phenomenology and the Cognitive Sciences, 1(4), 413-425.

Kahneman, D., & Klein, G. (2009). Conditions for intuitive expertise: A failure to disagree. The American Psychologist, 64(6), 515-26. doi:10.1037/a0016755

Hi Martin