Re: [xmca] Operations, mental images and emotions (!)

Andy,

I agree that an activity can become routine and still be an activity. However, for an activity to become an institution requires a good deal more than that it becomes a routine.  An institution involves an ontology and a deontology (Searle). That it, it requires statuses that define roles, and it requires duties and responsibilities that can become explicit rules and regulations. These require routinization (which is not necessarily the same as automatization), but it also requires typification.

Berger and Luckmann provide quite a good treatment of institutionalization in their Social Construction of Reality. They conclude that "institutionalization occurs whenever there is a reciprocal typification of habitualized actions by types of actors" (p. 54).  That is to say, an activity is repeated to a point where there are identifiable types of things to do, and identifiable types of people who do them (differentiation), and where the collaborators reciprocally assign the first type to the second type. (Including themselves, of course.)

Martin