Re: [xmca] Operations, mental images and emotions (!)

How's this for a neat example of the role of inorganic and organic cycles in the human activity/project of reproduction!

This from ethnography with the Abelam, who avoid sexual activity during the giant yam-growing season because it would upset the yams. The consequence is that no babies are born May through July.

(I assume we can all agree that having a baby is a collaborative activity/project, motivated by human needs and involving various goal-directed actions? Or is this too base and animalistic an analysis?)

Martin

[cid:9559E85F-F2FC-4E6C-8BD4-7A77B5FB095C]
Condon, R. G., & Scaglion, R. (1982). The ecology of human birth seasonally. Human Ecology, 10(4), 495-511. doi:10.1007/BF01531169