[Xmca-l] Re: Leontyev's activities

Andy,
I think that this notion of "motive" gets a lot closer to where I'm trying
to get to. If we want to speak of motivations, then we need to speak of
them as distributed between people. This articulation of "motive" does it
very nicely.
(I'm not thrilled with the distinction between "only understood motives"
vs. "really effective motives")
The one place where I might still suggest some tweaking is in the sense in
which a motivation appears as a highly intentional thing - as if it is
something that is reflected upon and then undertaken. I think most activity
does not have this quality - we too often find ourselves doing things that
we didn't necessarily plan to do. Or to put this another way, we are often
captured by moods such that it is only in retrospect that we construct a
"motivation". And, of course, there are habitual actions that we engage in
all the time, but which lack any sense of reflection.
But this is not to say that there aren't many instances of intentional
reflection upon one's motivations.
-greg

--
Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.