[Xmca-l] Re: Leontyev's activities

Greg,

Thanks for inviting me to the discussion and for your nice introduction to
Goffman's work. I indeed found these reflections about the relationships
between Goffman and AT very useful. My project in which I am considering
using Goffman's concept of frame together with Leontjev's theory of
activity is still at a very initial stage (I had to postpone this project
for a while to engage in another project meanwhile).

My take into the discussion is that I am interested to analyze sensory
aspects of students' actions (of observing birds) in bird-watching school
fieldtrip. Like Larry, I have previously worked with concepts of personal
sense and meaning, and now I found very interesting Leontjev's explication
of the structure of consciousness in terms of three dialectically
interrelated elements (or moments), personal sense, meaning, and sensory
fabric. Yet, Leontiev seems not to have written much that would help me to
analyze embodied interactions from video. I think that I need to
incorporate concepts from elsewhere to capture the evolving
moment-to-moment interactions. Here, I was turning to Goffman's frame
analysis, and the work of his students M. and C. Goodwin may be
interesting, too.

I have talked to many colleagues in CHAT and so far everyone has encouraged
me to explore the connections between frames and Leontiev (even though a
lot of work needs to be done). In this connection, I found interesting
Lubomir's opinion of the incompatibility between the two. I add Gutierrez
to Greg's list of scholars who connect Goffman and Leontiev.

Gutierrez and colleagues have used defined their well-known notion of
script in terms of the notion of frame. In their article (1995, Script,
counterscript and underlife in the classroom;
http://lchc.ucsd.edu/mca/Paper/kris.pdf) they write: "Nevertheless, the
teacher's script is hardly interrupted by student re-keyings, his script
(or "frame" in Goffman's terms) has ..." (p. 460). Gutierrez and colleagues
also use other Goffman's concepts such as keying and underlife.

One connection to Greg's reflection about motives and frames. To me, it
seems that there are some connections between the notions of personal sense
and framing. "Sense expresses the relation of motive of activity to
immediate goal of action" (Leontiev, 1978, p. 171). For a participant of an
activity, explication of this relation between motive and goal seems to
amount to asking: "what it is that is going on here?", that is, what is the
frame?

I would also like to ask the list, if you think that involving the notion
of sensory fabric in an observational study of naturally occuring
interactions is too far fetched. After all, Leontiev's own studies employed
exprimental research methods. I am considering dropping Leontiev altogether
and use work like Goodwin's professional vision instead.

Antti