Re: [xmca] comparing NewYorker images

It's been a great exercise Mike and rich with problems. I think the idea of discerning a cultural message in a collection of similar things is a great exercise in psychology. Obviously no-one is proposing the *separation* of thining and perception.

I just know I have problems with perception: I don't hear the words to songs usually, I easily make silly mistakes assembling equipment, I miss things when reading. I try to overcome these problems, but I know they are part of my personality. I guess I don't fancy accepting myself as a generally deficient person. I prefer to think there are different styles of learning, different "ways of working" and this particular exercise really brought out a weakness of mine. SHould I abandon all hope? :)

Andy

mike cole wrote:
I agree with Martin here, Andy. I find these images interesting precisely
because they appeared to me to be communicable examples of processes that
LSV writes about, but which remain pretty empty abstractions for many. As
this exchange makes clear, even evoking a distinction between perception and
conception is difficult, let alone between something like "seeing two green
dots" versus "two peas in a pod" and believing that the former is perceptual
while the latter is conceptual.

Oh well, at least I thought the examples were vehicles for communication of
the processes that LSV writes about. Seems they might not be after all!
mike