Re: [xmca] Educational neuroscience

Andy,
I'm doubtful of your premise that brain science will ever get to this point.

For a literary response along these lines, see Dostoevsky's Crime and
Punishment and Raskolnikov's insistence that man is not a piano-key and if
proven so, he would go crazy just to show otherwise - or was it
Svidragailov that said this?

>From a scientific standpoint I think that the potential predictions of
brain science run into a problem of complexity. There are more potential
connections in the brain than there are particles in the universe. This
makes every brain into an incredibly complex organism and makes prediction
unlikely due what Chaos theorists call the Butterfly Effect:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butterfly_effect
Chaos theory - a last defense of human freedom?

Or perhaps Quantum Physics?
http://www.quantumconsciousness.org/documents/fnint-06-0009321.pdf

Frankly, I'm much happier with the 19th century Russian writer's response.
Hate to be the *raskol* to the neuroscience craze.

Всего хорошего,
-greg

Gregory A. Thompson, Ph.D.
Visiting Assistant Professor