Re: [xmca] Double Stimulation?

Thanks Ivo.
The difficulty is this, Yrjo and I would readily agree that the commodity relation may be a unit of analysis for the analysis of the fine structure of bourgois society, and word meaning or artefact-mediated action a unit of analysis for the solution of problems of psychology, but the unit of analysis required for Activity Theory has to surmount a further difficulty - it must be a molar unit, i.e. a unit which is a unit of a mass of smaller units (e.g., commodity relations or artefact-mediated actions.) ANL resolved this problem stating that *an activity* is a unit of the cultural and historical life of mankind. Yrjo represents "an activity" as a "system of activity" which I have always taken to mean a "system of actions", but I could be quite mistaken there. So this begs the question of what constitutes the "system"? And how is one system to be abstracted from the complex, interwoven fabric of human life and how can it be analysed. This is where the triangle comes in. It is a legitimate claim, but I find it problematic. I agree, if we speak the same language, we ought to be able to resolve it. I call that unit "a project". Manfred Holodynski we saw simply calls it "an activity" as ANL did. YE calls it a "system of activity". In my opinion, Marx took the molar unit of bourgeois society to be a unit of capital, i.e., a firm, but this is nowhere made completely clear.

Andy

Ivo Banaco wrote:
Dear Yro and Andy,

It would benefit a lot this list if you actually engage in a serious
dialogue rather than pretend that you have foreign and incomprehensible
languages, which is not of course true or you wouldn't be here.

If we go back to Marx for example committed as he was to study Capitalism
we already have a good demonstration of a system (capitalism) and he found
of course a unit of analysis from which to proceed, the commodity. Does it
make any sense to start from here?

Ivo