Re: RES: [xmca] Perezhivanie and Dewey's concept of experience

Mike, Andy, Martin

Mike has summarized the thread to this point in the conversation with the
comment:

 I was also delighted to see the connection to Dilthey. To me
he stands for the "understanding" side of Wundt's duality between
volkpsychology and experimental psychology. Two sides of the crisis.
Add it to your list of quotations about perezhivanie, Andy, and lets link
it somehow to xmca.

Mike, as we link up Dilthey, Dewey, and Vygotsky we seem to be linking up
*lived experience* which emphasizes the SUBJECTIVE emotional, visceral
significance of lived experience.

Another central concept is the understanding of *recollection* when the
impact of the situation on the person summons up the entire lived
experience of development.

Does Aristotle's notion of *phronesis* as the relationship BETWEEN
*character* and *application* also offer another source for linking to
perezhivanie?? My reason for asking is that Gadamer has *recollected* lived
experience as *flourishing* by returning to Aristotle. Aristotle also was
exploring notions of the *moral good* and I want to link this to page 3 of
Andy's notes on perezhivanie. On page 3 Vygotsky uses the metaphor of
*prism* and *refraction* on the environments role and influence on the
course of development. Vygotsky is suggesting the discipline of pedology as
a genre OUGHT to always be capable of finding the particular *prism*
THROUGH WHICH the influence of the environment of the environment on the
child is REFRACTED. In Vygotsky's own words pedology:

"OUGHT to be able to find the relationship which exists between the child
and its environment, the child's emotional experience [perezhivanie], in
other words how a child BECOMES AWARE of, INTERPRETS, [and] EMOTIONALLY
RELATES to a certain event. This is such a prism which DETERMINES the role
and influence of the environment on the development of, say, the child's
CHARACTER, his psychological development, etc.

Andy the way you chose to present the multiple shades of meaning of
perezhivanie [TRANSlated as "lived experience"] through gathering together
multiple authors each presenting their particular understanding of "lived
experience" I found helpful in offering a deepening clarity of
perezhivanie. In conjunction with Dewey's understanding of aesthetic
experience as a deepening *intensification* of lived experience and
Dilthey's exploration of lived experience as *undergoing*, possible new
linkings or avenues of conversation open up.

Fascinating thread which brings to center stage questions of subjectivity,
intra-subjectivity, inter-subjectivity, trans-subjectivity and how these
various understandings of subjectivity [and character development] link to
perezhivanie. I appreciate how XMCA is contributing to my personal
development.

Larry