Re: [xmca] Direct Instruction: observations at Djarragun college, Cape York, Australia

hi Helen,

Very strong quote from Vygotsky! Sadly I'm not well read in Vygotsky. I
know others here are so I'd be interested in whether he qualifies such
thoughts in his writings.

I have said the theory is important and I'm not really happy with
Engelmann's presentation of the theory. But if you look at this 1966 video
on his site (maths lesson) you will see enthusiastic kids running out to
the board and snatching the chalk off him to write answers, they seem fully
engaged and learning to me.
http://www.zigsite.com/trainingvideos/zig_math_video.html

The most interesting author on theorising behaviourism for me is Daniel
Dennett. I summarised a section of his "Darwin's Dangerous Idea" a while
back and have since read "Kinds of Minds" which focuses more on just that
issue. This is the sort of theorising that might be of interest here so
I'll cut and post part of my earlier summary of it here:

Daniel Dennett claims that generate and test is the only non question
begging way to explain learning.

Learning can be viewed as self design. There doesn't appear to be a more
powerful way to think about design than thinking of it as an evolution
wrought by generate and test!

He elaborates further on this idea in Ch 13 Losing Our Minds to Darwin, in
his book, Darwin's Dangerous Idea
*
*
One theme is that it is language that helps make us intelligent, that
distinguishes us from other species.

Dennett presents us with five hypothetical creatures arising from Darwin's
evolutionary process. Each of them uses generate and test but the process
becomes more sophisticated with evolution.

Darwinian creatures are created by random mutation and selected by the
external environment. The best designs survive and reproduce.

Skinnerian creatures can learn by testing actions (responses) in the
external environment. Favourably actions are reinforced and then tend to be
repeated. Pigeons can be trained to press a bar to receive food.

Skinnerian creatures ask themselves, "What do I do next?"

Popperian creatures can preselect from possible behaviours / actions
weeding out the truly stupid options before risking them in the harsh
world. Dennett calls them Popperian because Popper said this design
enhancement "permits our hypotheses to die in our stead". This is Dennett's
enhancement of behaviourism. Popperian creatures have an inner environment
that can preview and select amongst possible actions. For this to work the
inner environment must contain lots of information about the outer
environment and its regularities. Not only humans can do this. Mammals,
birds, reptiles and fish can all presort behavioural options before acting.

Popperian creatures ask themselves, "What do I think about next?"

Gregorian creatures are named after Richard
Gregory<http://www.richardgregory.org/index.htm>,
an information theorist. Gregorian creatures import mind-tools (words) from
the outer cultural environment to create an inner environment which improve
both the generators and testers.

Gregorian creatures ask themselves, "How can I learn to think better about
what to think about next?"

Words / language are necessary to sustain long predictive chains of
thought, eg. to sustain a chain or combination of pattern recognition.

With respect to tools. Tools may have come before language. The evolution
of the hand with an opposable thumb is an early "inbuilt" tool, in
combination with erect posture. It has been shown that those things
happened before the increase in brain size. See Engels, Gould. This
observation, however, does not refute Dennett's proposition of the primacy
of language in contributing to intelligence. Tools can be a fundamental
building block and language still primary.

Learning from mistakes is an important and hard to learn part of this
process. To learn from mistakes one has to be able to contemplate them and
language / communication assists that process. For example, by being told
by someone else you have made a mistake.

Finally, we have Scientific creatures which is an organised process of
making and learning from mistakes in public, of getting others to assist in
the recognition and correction of mistakes.

The value of Dennett's account is:

   - he traces a very plausible evolutionary sequence for the development
      of the mind
      - he extends the core correct concept of behaviourism (generate and
      test) into the inner environment
      - he has a thought out opinion about the importance of language in
      human intelligence and its relation to tool use and tool
creation (the bits
      about pattern recognition have been added in by me)

Source:
http://billkerr2.blogspot.com.au/2006/07/dennetts-creatures.html