Re: [xmca] Direct Instruction: observations at Djarragun college, Cape York, Australia

Huw Lloyd:

> Seymour Papert drew attention to these systemic issues in "The Children's
> Machine": the isolation of computing in schools as a means to prevent the
> curriculum's remediation.  The book is a mature revision of his original
> efforts.

I recently reread Ch 8: Computerists. It says:

In Artificial Intelligence (AI), my work with Marvin Minsky struggle
against "logic" as the basis of reasoning and against all forms of
"particulate" and "propositional" representation of knowledge (165)

I thought this struggle against was too strongly put. It's not really
dialectical, there needs to be some sort of interpenetration b/w logic and
relationship. Note also the heading to chapter 7: Instructionism versus
Constructionism. Why versus? It is better to look at the interplay b/w
instructionism and constructionism.

I then went back to Minsky's book Society of Mind and reread his Ch 18:
Reasoning. He makes the case there that common sense is more robust than
logic. But I didn't get the same sense of either / or that creeps into
Papert's book.

My own experience in teaching disadvantaged students was that it was better
for the teacher to walk the whole continuum - all the way down to
behaviourism and all the way up to constructionism.

Papert is a beautiful writer but not all of his arguments are valid IMO,
although many of them are.