Re: [xmca] Direct Instruction: observations at Djarragun college, Cape York, Australia

Interesting posts, Bill.

As I understand it view points research (Papert, Kay and others) are or
were involved in ways to scale teaching approaches (presumably
constructionist teaching approaches).

I stuck with the Theory of DI talk to the end.  If this is representative
it's not difficult to see why he has had more than the usual share of
problems in making things happen.  I wasn't quite sure what to make of his
anecdote of rediscovering Mill's principles.  Was he acknowledging Dewey
and the problem of communicating ideas, or does he really think he could
have skipped the whole discovery process and gone straight to Mill to
attain the same appreciation?

Huw