Re: [xmca] Direct Instruction: observations at Djarragun college, Cape York, Australia

Bill, Helen, David

There is the issue of *content* and *knowledge acquisition*.
However, the issue of a student having a sense of *experiencing* being
*successful* [another tricky concept] is a factor to consider.

This gets back to notions of *zpd* and *mediation* and *scaffolding*
Children PERCEIVING  being *sucessful*  IS central to their experience in
schools. DI seems to try to  CONTROL this variable [at what cost in
spontaneity and imagination?].

IF MEDIATION and ZPD were central root metaphors &orientations in our
teaching practices there may be no need for DI.

David, is it true that the average teacher in the USA teaches only 4
years?  If this is true I believe in Canada we are more like in Korea. I am
a civil servant and most of the teachers in Vancouver schools have been
teachers for decades.

Larry