Re: [xmca] schools-without-computers-by-choice-and-conviction-that-they-dont-help-kids

On 28 October 2011 09:47, Bill Kerr <billkerr@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 4:47 AM, Linda Polin <linda.polin@pepperdine.edu
> >wrote:
>
> > I was trying to indicate the openness and range of the possible in
> > Minecraft, which doesn't sacrifice the playfulness that I find lacking in
> > straight up programming except for people who enjoy debugging.
>

> hi Linda,
> Thanks for the Minecraft pointer, looking into it more.
>
> Just a small point about debugging in Scratch. It's a visual drag and drop
> of tiles which fit together like LEGO. So, the arduous beginners type of
> debugging (syntax errors) is non existent in Scratch.

Bugs aren't necessarily bad though.

I recall whilst learning to program the BBC micro that is was the 'bugs'
that lead to some of the more significant learning.
99% percent of the time, early beliefs that the program was right and the
computer wrong, helped considerably with an early appreciation for rigour
and such assertions.

Bugs as class of problems are good opportunities for thought that can be
tried and tested too.

Huw