Re: [xmca] Cultural Practices/Activities/etc

On 23 August 2011 14:10, mike cole <lchcmike@gmail.com> wrote:

> How about umwelt, Andy?
> I warned you the survey was unsophisticated. Just the term envelope is a
> problem because it distinguish the envelope from its contents. Very
> difficult to get the "weaving/ co-constituting" impulse into
> environment/context/practice. of course, a woven tapestry is "just static,"
> relative to human experience, isn't it?

Is this in the same sense of "just going to the moon"?

I think that the psychological warmth of the material is also derived from
the subject's ability to penetrate the medium.  i.e. the cultural operations
the material evokes for him/her in its fabrication (the inverse of
alienation).

Also with respect to aesthetics, there is the workmanship of risk (David
Pye) in addition to the synthesis of sense.

Huw