Re: [xmca] Question

Larry, Mike, and Michael -

I remember during my graduate school years how I was challenged by John
Broughton, my professor of Theories of Human development at TC, Columbia U
when he appealed to me as one who was fresh off the boat from Russian
shores, i.e. more knowledgeable of Vygotsky....:-) ha-ha...to explain the
seeming close connection between Mead and Vygotsky. I was definitely not
ready. I think it is worth exploring. I think the concept of mediated self
and the whole idea of mediation worth exploring as the seeming similarity is
misleading. The Vygotskian concept of psychological tools is important.

Vygotskian ideas seem to be very dialogical - I remember the conference
Vygotsky and Montessori we organized in 1991, in Utreht, Dewey and Vtygotsky
at TC in NYC, Jacques Carpey was writing on Spinoza and Vygotsky... Petr
Shedrovitskii once hypothesized that Vygotsky left a lot for the
interpretation between the lines, and I can add that he spelled out the
methodology of relating to those between the lines spaces...So the dialogue
goes on.
Elina