Re: [xmca] The Interpersonal Is Not the Sociocultural

That zoped is specifically meant to apply to the problem of moving from
everyday to scientific concepts (using locally politically incorrect
terminology) and does NOT apply to development out of school.

I like David's use of "academic concepts."
I do not understand fully the objection to perceptual versus semiotic
understanding of concepts David mentions and that you apparently
agree with. I pointed to Davydov because he so clearly DOEs draw on Hegel,
right up to the point of arguing, in his interpretation, that primitives
think like children (a scandalous assertion at LCHC!) as well as the
apparently contradictory assertion that one will never observe educational
activity in a school. (He sins here, apparently, again, along with
Engestrom, who refers to most educational "activity" as "school going
activity"). But a la normal XMCA discourse, my late note appeared in a
different discourse context so got interpreted (naturally!) as advocacy of a
view i am still trying to work out.

Apparently germ cells are out and something else is in. Seemed to me that
Davydov was no fool, even when he played the part, and that the evidence vis
a vis math education indicated that when it was possible to implement his
ideas, even in American schools (cf Schmittau), they worked just as he said
they would.(Or David B of constitutional fame?)

If Peter M was reading all this, what would he say? Or Jean? Will whatever
they had to say come through in a review on MCA?

Khwoo nose?
mike

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 9:11 PM, Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net> wrote:

> [...]
>> of
>> learning outside of schools, historically or culturally "before schools,"
>> where issues of emotion, broadly construed, come to the fore.
>>
>> I have been excoriated by Russians for thinking that the idea of a zoped
>> extends beyond schooling, but this line of discussion and the way it has
>> been re-posed in the discussion brings starkly to mind the kinds of
>> emotions
>> that kids ordinarily experience in classrooms. How often, under what
>> conditions, could these emotions be considered conducive to development or
>> the creation of a zoped?
>>
>> Sometime, but can we generalize about the conditions?
>> Does Franklin in the blocks.... an example from a preschool, count?
>> And in the second language learning conditions that you so eloquently
>> and intricately seek to instruct us with?
>>
>> This line of discussion seems important, even if i cannot tie it to all
>> the
>> threads swirling around xmca's version of Pandora.
>>

>> mike
>>

>> On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 4:37 PM, David Kellogg <vaughndogblack@yahoo.com
>> >wrote:
>>
>>  A while ago someone (perhaps the author himself) circulated Michael G.
>>> Levykh's remarkable "The Affective Establishment and Maintenance of
>>> Vygotsky's Zone of Proximal Development" (Eductional Theory 58 [1]:
>>> 83-101)
>>> on this list, but I didn't get around to reading it until this weekend.
>>>
>>> It seems to me that the paper makes three points that are germane to the
>>> "Play" thread (and also to Beth and Robert's paper, if that is still
>>> under
>>> discussion), but FAILS to make one point which I think is really
>>> important
>>> enough to change the subject line (besides which the "Owl of Minerva" is
>>> really a joke that probably only Andy fully understands even though I was
>>> the one who originally made it; I often make jokes that I don't really
>>> understand, just to see if I will laugh).
>>>
>>> First of all, Michael's paper points out that the fashion for "extending"
>>> the ZPD in an "affective" direction is just reinventing the wheel; the
>>> ZPD
>>> never excluded affective factors in the first place, and in the first
>>> chapter of Thinking and Speech we are clearly told that affective factors
>>> are part parcel of every meaningful word and gesture. They are an
>>> enabling
>>> condition--nay, a precondition--not only for communicative speech but
>>> also
>>> for reflective verbal thinking.
>>>
>>> Secondly, Michael's paper differentiates between shared emotions and
>>> private ones, and argues that it's really not enough to have the latter
>>> in
>>> our classrooms. So there is an important sense in which every successful
>>> class is an artwork, that is, a work of social emotion. He gives an
>>> example
>>> from my own field, foreign language learning, on pp. 98-99 (and in fact
>>> the
>>> example he gives, of learners (re)producing some of Carolyn Graham's jazz
>>> chants in a doctor's ofice, is both positive and a negative example of
>>> this).
>>>
>>> Thirdly, Michael's paper applies this idea of shared emotion to the
>>> distinction between "obuchenie" on the one hand and the various
>>> misinterpretations, both teaching-learning (Soviet) and learning-leaning
>>> (Western) given Vygotsky's teachings on teaching. The key and unexplored
>>> precondition that differentiates "obuchenie" from the mistranslation
>>> "instruction" is the creation of shared emotion. The key and unexplored
>>> precondition that differentiates "obuchenie" from the mistranslation
>>> "learning" (which Mike points out in his MCA editorial) is the sharing of
>>> propositional ATTITUDES and not simply the sharing of propositions.
>>>
>>> This is powerful stuff, and reading it I was quite envious, because I
>>> always fancied that I was going to be the one who argued that Vygotsky
>>> had
>>> in mind a whole 'nother side to his work, a set of higher EMOTIONAL
>>> functions that included concepts such as fairness, justice, solidarity,
>>> altruism...you know, the sort of emotional function that makes it more
>>> necessary to develop somebody else's idea than to be first in line to
>>> take
>>> credit for a new one.
>>>
>>> These higher emotional functions, that have both an ethical
>>> (altruistic) and an aesthetic (realist) element are as much the
>>> foundation
>>> of moral and artistic education as logical memory or conceptual thinking
>>> are
>>> the foundations of science and mathematical education. They are also
>>> every
>>> bit as much culturally produced and socially shared.
>>>
>>> But I am not at all convinced that they are esssentially interpersonal,
>>> that is, that they can arise from what we in Korean call the "Neo-Na"
>>> (I-thou) or "Jugeoni-Padgeoni" (Give and Accept) relationship between
>>> individuals, not even generalized into an abstract universal. I don't
>>> think
>>> that they can simply be arrived at by a kind of Piagetian reversibility
>>> in
>>> relations (wash my back and I'll wash yours, as we say in the Korean