From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Vera Steiner
Sent: Monday, January 18, 2010 12:59 PM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] Fwd: Purposes and processes of education

Hi,
There is a lot of apprenticeship education going on in Southwestern Native
communities, whether in farming,
pottery or jewelry  There are still multigenerational families known for
their excellence in some of these crafts. The transmission of skills in
these domains requires observational as well as verbal teaching/learning.
The underdevelopment of observational skills in most Westernized schools by
their  frequent exclusive focus on verbal teaching  is a questionable
practice. It narrows the curriculum, the role of parents as contributors to
education and learners' preparation for laboratory sciences.Including
observational learning in our theories and curriculum is hard to achieve in
these times of narrow, test-driven education, but these limitations are part
of the challenges that fuel the energy of xmca participants.
Vera