Re: [xmca] Fwd: Purposes and processes of education

I should be going to bed now (NYC time zone), or else turning around work from advisees that I'm behind on; but this topic has got me going.

Now I'm remembering one of my favorite short stories by the great 20th century writer Lu Xun. I'm not remembering the title, but it depicts an evening dramatic performance in a Chinese village. I am sure that this sort of event has been going on for centuries. It would be a mode of instruction for the young people; but it would be an activity that was not happening solely or primarily for that "instructional" purpose. It was for antertainment and socialization for adults, but the "instructional" function would have also been salient, if not necessarily "deliberate."

It seems to me one question here has to do with the degree to which it matters if the activity is conducted specifically for its "instructinal" value.