Re: [xmca] Purposes and processes of education

I am unsure, tony.
Apprenticeships in pre-literate societies are interesting but are they
counter-example? There is arrangement of opportunities to observe and even
sequencing
of tasks, but descriptions of deliberate instruction are rare and there are
not 30/1 ratios (although there are forms of activity that pass as "exams.")

Scribner and Cole studied people who were literate without schools, but that
does not appear typical, and in terms of relationship of literacy and
schooling the direction "causal" relations.

I hope it is clear that I am not making claims here, but trying to explore
more deeply this bundle of issues.

mike