Re: RE : [xmca] Fwd: FW: The New Science of Learning

http://www.vanderbilt.edu/lsi/
[apologies: the URL is a copy and paste some time ago, but they seemed
to have moved
the content elsewhere, and i can't seem to Google for the new web page.]

What Are the Learning Sciences?

Learning science is an emerging and evolving field growing out
of cognitive science. The Journal of the Learning Sciences (with
LSI investigator Rogers Hall as associate editor and LSI
investigator Paul Cobb on the editorial board) began in 1991 and
is the official publication of the International Society of the
Learning Sciences. As one might expect with such a young field
of study, there are disagreements as to the definition and
character of the field. Inspection of recent issues of the
Journal of the Learning Sciences finds attention given to
situated learning (the interaction between individual learning
and the learing and evolving field growing out of cognitive
science. The Journal of the Learning Sciences finds attention
given to situated learning (the interaction between individual
learning and the learner's environment), investigations of
learning transfer, the meaning and assessment of learning,
technology-enabled learning, and instructional approaches.

The LSI seeks to connect learning sciences research and
development along the continuum from the applied to the very
basic. The LSI's work focuses on the learning of disciplinary
content including assessment, structure of disciplinary
knowledge, pedagogical content knowledge, learning in formal and
informal educational settings, and equitable access to learning;
learning of strategies for synthesizing solutions to open-ended
or ambiguous problems such as those that occur in engineering
design; the motivational, emotional, and social context of
learning, including the roles of developmental, social/cultural,
economic, political, historical, and environmental factors and
indigenous knowledge systems; learning technologies, including
intelligent tutoring systems, visualization tools,
computer-supported collaborative environments, digital
libraries, and real-time assessment tools; machine learning,
learning algorithms, knowledge representations, robotics,
adaptive systems, and computational simulations of cognitive
systems; mathematical, statistical, and computational modeling;
and the development of new tools and technologies to support the
learning sciences.

To help define the field of learning sciences, the LSI has
produced a 16-minute documentary about learning sciences
research. The film captures how people learn, how teaching can
be more effective, how curriculum can support learning, and how
policy can enable or obstruct the productivity of the
learning/teaching environment.

Sophus Ng