RE: [xmca] latour

From: Luiz Carlos Baptista <lucabaptista who-is-at fcsh.unl.pt>
Date: Fri Mar 07 2008 - 17:56:33 PST

Thanks a lot, Mike. I haven't written anything yet, I am still in
the "primitive accumulation" phase :) But I hope to have something before
Summer.

My interest in distributed cognition in games is due to the work of
Constance Steinkuehler (btw, she has published a paper in MCA). As regards
artifacts, basically I am not satisfied with the approaches to online games
as fiction, or simulation, or what have you. The issue at stake here is the
ontological status of such games. It is clear that they are artifacts
(Searle's theory of institutional facts might be useful here), and even
include some fictional elements. But since they are persistent (i.e., they
keep on going even when you are offline; in fact, even if no one is online),
they are a very peculiar sort of artifact, and a case can be made that they
are, in a sense, real worlds - or at least parts of the real world. A case
in point is the trade between game and "real world" currencies. As soon as
this happens, game currencies become part of the economy, and as such, real
(people actually make money by trading virtual coins, armour, equipment,
etc.).

I am still in a very early phase of my research, and ideas are still taking
shape. But they keep coming.

Best,
Luiz

"The brain is a wonderful thing. Everybody should have one."