Re: [xmca] intersubjectivity, deception, perhaps also theory of mind

From: Paul Dillon <phd_crit_think who-is-at yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Apr 24 2007 - 16:03:34 PDT

mike,

  Sartre was the clearest thinker I know of re intersubjectivity . . . for all its dense opacity, the sections from Being and Nothingness about the Other (shit! this is Franz Fanon fertilizer) provide a very precise way for calibrating the dimensions of objetivication ... this the basis of all strategy . . . of the Other.

  All games are played in that domain! You're right! Bonobos suck!

  Paul

Mike Cole <lchcmike@gmail.com> wrote:
  Dear XMCA-o-philes........

Our visitor Minati has engaged me in working with her on kids playing a
complicated game. What we have is a running
transcript of the narrative and observational notes (no videotape). From
preliminary analysis, we want to talk about the players
establishing joint attention and intersubjectivity (they are both attending
to the game, they know the rules, etc.) but they are both trying to win and
engage in clearly deceptive behaviors.

We have been looking for a literature that combines intersubjectivity,
deception, and perhaps theory of mind. The Machiavellian
intelligence literature ought to have it, but we have not found it (and we
are talking humans here, not chimps, and 8-16
year old humans, not infants).

Can you provide us with any pointers of where.how to look?
mike (& Minati)