RE: What's new in classroom configurations

From: IRAJ IMAM (iimam@cal-research.org)
Date: Tue Mar 01 2005 - 11:45:51 PST

Lara mentioned:

"I am intrigued by the idea of more flexibility built into the furnishings
of a classroom, making transitions between different activities not only
easier but more complete. Discussion that is not dominated by the instructor
in a traditional classroom faces numerous material obstacles... I would be
particularly interested in the design if it meant facilitating movement for
students as well as teachers and if it distributed power more evenly
throughout the room (rather than in that place the teacher usually
stands/sits)."

Adding to Andy's link to new spaces for learning, here is a link to a
designer center working on collaborative space in schools. They show
examples of award winning designs, for schools and classrooms.

http://www.designshare.com/Fielding/Harbor_City_International.htm

http://www.designshare.com/Research/Fielding/LosAngeles_School_Design.asp

iraj