Re: [xmca] Re: Luria - New Vodka Old Bottle PDF

Well I was thinking about that claim this morning and I think that our psychology dept within itself offers very different courses now but all under the same department. In education we have very different courses under the rubric of psychology in education eg cultural psychology in education. Of course we think that activity theory is where it's all at but we are minuscule proportion of the psychologists in the country. Of course I would be happy to work in linguists and anthropologists but psychologists here are not able to make that leap. Perhaps if psych students were advised to take anthroplolgy

-----Original Message-----
From: greg.a.thompson@gmail.com
Sender: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 2013 07:36:56
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity<xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
Subject: Re: [xmca] Re: Luria - New Vodka Old Bottle PDF

I imagine Nicholas would find mikes suggestion of ethnographic psychology to be BORING. Why no call for the integration of philosophy or other humanities into the social sciences?
This sounds to me like the very old argument that the social sciences need to be more like the natural sciences.
Old whine, new bottle...
Greg

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 23, 2013, at 3:25 AM, Peter Smagorinsky <smago@uga.edu> wrote:

> [...]
>
> It is time to create new social science departments that reflect the breadth and complexity of the problems we face as well as the novelty of 21st-century science. These would include departments of biosocial science, network science, neuroeconomics, behavioral genetics and computational social science. Eventually, these departments would themselves be dismantled or transmuted as science continues to advance.
>
> Some recent examples offer a glimpse of the potential. At Yale, the Jackson Institute for Global Affairs applies diverse social sciences to the study of international issues and offers a new major. At Harvard, the sub-discipline of physical anthropology, which increasingly relies on modern genetics, was hived off the anthropology department to make the department of human evolutionary biology. Still, such efforts are generally more like herds splitting up than like new species emerging. We have not yet changed the basic DNA of the social sciences. Failure to do so might even result in having the natural sciences co-opt topics rightly and beneficially in the purview of the social sciences.
>
> New social science departments could also help to better train students by engaging in new types of pedagogy. For example, in the natural sciences, even college freshmen do laboratory experiments. Why is this rare in the social sciences? When students learn about social phenomena, why don't they go to the lab to examine them - how markets reach equilibrium, how people cooperate, how social ties are formed? Newly invented tools make this feasible. It is now possible to use the Internet to enlist thousands of people to participate in randomized experiments. This seems radical only because our current social science departments weren't organized to teach this way.
>
> For the past century, people have looked to the physical and biological sciences to solve important problems. The social sciences offer equal promise for improving human welfare; our lives can be greatly improved through a deeper understanding of individual and collective behavior. But to realize this promise, the social sciences, like the natural sciences, need to match their institutional structures to today's intellectual challenges.
>

> Nicholas A. Christakis, a physician and sociologist at Yale University, is a co-director of the Yale Institute for Network Science.

>>> or
>>> pawhite@aps.k12.co.us