Re: [xmca] Re: Luria - New Vodka Old Bottle PDF

Greg, I think you are completely right with the way you describe the interdisciplinary blindness inquestion. Michael Hedelberger (for yet another example) referred to the "folk psychology" of natural scientists, neuroscientists in particular, when they unwittingly step outside their discipline and talk about psychology instead of brains.

Also, I think you are completely right in disagreeing with suggestions to replace the relevant interdisciplinary gulf with a dichotomy beween thinking and speaking, and insisting that actions always include thinking and that speaking is an action. Otherwise, we are not talking about actions, but behaviour. Behaviour is the result of abstracting actions away from consciousness. And thinking cannot be abstracted away from voluntary motor actions which was the topic of Luria's book, of course.

And this is the point isn't it? Whether a sensible social science can abstract from (individual) consciousness and rely only on objectified forms of mind (such as the recorded word), and whether a sensible psychology can absrtact away from the formative processes of the practical and material objectifications of thought inherited by every individual from their societal environment.

Andy

Greg Thompson wrote:
Michael,
I'm still having a hard time figuring out how any instance of speaking or
even thinking about speaking is not action.

But Philip's post suggests a slightly different way of thinking about the
discourse/action distinction.

Perhaps the discourse/action distinction is better captured by individual
vs. group than by ideal vs. material, with discourse being the group level
phenomena that makes certain ways of thinking about things more or less
available, and action being the way that people use discourse in actual
practice (and which, in the collective, becomes discourse). Discourse is
the thing that circulates in society and is instantiatable in any
individual instance of bringing discourse to life by action (whether
speaking or doing).

I'd be happy to talk Treyvon, but maybe better to stick to the question of
why a google search of "ethnographic psychology" turns up only a handful of
articles and no insitutional centers? This is a fantastic idea - so why
hasn't it caught hold?

Thinking through discourse and action (which have to be two sides of the
same coin), "ethnographic psychology" doesn't take hold because it doesn't
fit with discourse or with action (and I would still prefer to put these
together, b.c. in academia, let's face it, if discourse isn't action, then
we are doing a whole lotta nothing! But I'll keep them separate in order to
try them on). Where discourse includes the predominant ways of thinking
about what psychology is and action involves things like publishing in
actual journals that will allow one to keep one's job. The configuration
that rules out "ethnographic psychology" is thus very complex. I don't know
that changing discourse or actions is really going to change things unless
the supports of discourse and action are altered in some way. And I don't
think it is just one single support that can be knocked out (e.g.
capitalism). Rather, I think there are lot of interconnecting supports that
make "the way things are (e.g., no "ethnographic psychology")" appear to
most to be right and good and true. These include such myriad things as
language (in the broadest sense of Western languages, but also in the more
specific sense of the arcane lingos of different disciplines),
institutitutional structures ("joint" appointments remain the exception in
most universities), sociopolitical arrangements, and, yes, capitalism. It
isn't a perfect impenetrable Althusserian structure, some of the supports
may contain contradictions that make them prone to collapse, and others may
be less well interconnected. This is all just to say that there is hope,
but the challenge is to identify where the shaky supports are and to figure
out how to encourage their collapse. And I'll do my part at pointing these
out.

So, yes, discourse and action are the place to start.

-greg

On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 12:52 PM, White, Phillip <Phillip.White@ucdenver.edu