Re: [xmca] Peter Smagorinsky on concepts

Ok - but what is left open is where that comes from. I feel
'book-learning'  or 'formal instruction' as terms are imbued with 'didactic
directing' , whereas self-directing' ( of participating persons, between
each other) and 'nudging each other' to understandings are perhaps more
authentic accounts..just that each time anew an ideal-typical path is
synthesised not 'reproduced'. In this 'process' is not replicable, but
'recoverable' - in the knowing that significant moments might be
appreciable for other settings - but not reconstructable.
Perhaps that's  less confusing,  with the 'contamination' of understandings
of 'action-research '  abounding from other traditions - more 'practice
research'?

'Instruction' is a loaded term , I am recalling  Peter Goodyear's
predicament as editor of ' Instructional Science' , when I met him in 1997
he was deliberating renaming the journal, such was the 'crisis'. Although
you flag that 'does not 'exclude'' - this can become 'lost' when a
mainstream makes a distinction based upon 'instruction' as being of a form
which does 'exclude' - and teasing out the difference becomes 'lengthy' and
'loses' large constituencies...
 I got stuck on this as follows:

Formal instruction as a term refers at once to both teaching and learning
(Cole 2009), it is not a simple matter to convey this meaning. The first
sentence of self definition from the Springer Journal ‘Instructional
Science’ states

‘Instructional Science promotes a deeper understanding of the nature,
theory, and practice of the instructional process and resultant learning.’
(Instructional Science 2010)

Where a great deal of confusion can be seen[1] <#_ftn1>, the product of the
instructional process (of teaching-learning),  cannot be ‘learning’ – which
is within the process.  I make a point of exploring this to be able to
identify the essential relations of ‘formal instruction’ when taken with a
teaching-learning meaning. The essential relations that arise from
teaching-learning which could achieve development of theoretical thinking
about regulatory agency relations as a product, cannot be the terms and
relations expressed in this journal definition, for example.

------------------------------

[1] <#_ftnref1> The sentence itself is an expression of theory which is
constituting practice- therefore it is tautological for these terms to be
used within the definition. What remains is a declaration ‘ Instructional
Science promotes a deeper understanding of the nature of the instructional
process.’
 Ah Mike's reference was

Cole, M. (2009). 'The Perils of Translation: A First Step in Reconsidering
Vygotsky's Theory of Development in Relation to Formal Education.' *Mind,
Culture, and Activity* *16*(4):pp 291-295.

 Let's go back to 'ideal typical path of development ( as 'process' : as in
not a product).. I feel I 'slip' there..
Christine