[xmca] Vostellung

I don't know if this is of any use, Martin. I have no idea about the Russian of course! But this is what I know of the translation of the German terms into English, which doesn't quite tally with your information.

   /Vostellung /is usually translated as 'representation'. /Vorstellen
   /is literally 'to put in front of', introduce a person to someone or
   represent them (on their behalf). Also to represent in art. /Sich
   vorstellen/ is to represent something to oneself, i.e., imagine,
   conceive, picture to oneself, and thus to produce a /Vorstellung/.
   This emphasises the subjective state of the subject rather than the
   nature of the object being represented.

   In philosophy, /Vorstellung /means 'idea' in the very broad sense /a
   la /Locke, as thoughts, intuitions, sensations, perceptions, and as
   "representation" in translating Kant. Or in a narrower sense,
   /Vorstellung /is contrasted with perception or sensuous intuition,
   as /Vorstellung /does /not /imply that the object and person are in
   each other's presence. /Vorstellung /is also to be contrasted with
   /Idee/, because it /does /have a pictorial element to it,.

/Darstellen /also means to represent or exhibit, but usually in less detail or more generally stand for. You can use it in the sense of value "represents" (/darstellen/) labour, or all commodities "represent" (/darstellen/) social labour, or how neuronal activity can "represent" (/darstellen/) a thought. It seems to me that the concept of "representation" is not all pictorial here, but more like "evidence of" or "stands for".

This page: http://www.marxists.org/archive/rubin/value/ch12.htm discusses the translation of the Russian */predstavlyat'/* as "represent"

What's the reference in Vygotsky, Martin?

Andy

Martin Packer wrote:
Dear XMCAers,

Are there equivalents in Russian to the Vorstellung/Darstellung distinction in German? The first is generally translated into English as "idea," while the second as "representation." The follow-up question (for double points) would be, how does LSV use these (Russian) terms?

Martin

*Andy Blunden*
Joint Editor MCA: http://lchc.ucsd.edu/MCA/Journal/
Home Page: http://home.mira.net/~andy/