Re: [xmca] Kozulin & Feuerstein and the mediated learning paradigm

Mike

I know from this CHAT list  that Kozulin and Feuerstein are not accurate in
their assessment of the CHAT perspective.  The broader question I was
asking,  "Is it useful or helpful to try to "teach" basic cognitive
prerequisites or should those prerequisites be built into subject matter
content?" Mike, I  taught IE 20 years ago and I consider the person who
gained the most from this activity was myself as I became more aware of
basic cognitive prerequisites.  But I always thought these basic processes
could be incorporated into other school activities such as math or language
arts.  IE does help a teacher become more aware of the complexity of what
they are asking students to do but I've often wondered about trying to be
content neutral and focusing instruction on the basic cognitive
prerequisites which  become the object of instruction.

I posted this comment because it clearly articulated a tension I've wondered
about in teaching "metacognitive strategies" directly as the object of
activity in contrast to teaching specific content and leading students to
metacognitive perspectives.  If I am able to get clearer in these
contrasting approaches, I will be better able to talk to staffs about the
distinctions.