RE: online course design considerations (technology)

From: Jim Rogers (fajimr@cc.usu.edu)
Date: Sat Sep 14 2002 - 09:23:04 PDT

>There is also the consideration of haves/havenots and whether everyone
interested will have access...

I'd like to follow up on Bill's idea here:

When Gordon suggested KF (Knowledge Forum), I had the same reaction as
David- "great a chance to try this tool".

BUT I would also like us to think of those community members outside the
N. American and/or University contexts where internet connections are:
1)slow and 2)costly (many people still have to pay for local calls by
the minute). I just saw a discussion tool ("textweaver"
www.textweaver.org) demonstrated at a conference that can be used
off-line- that is, participants can download the discussions and read
them without being connected to the internet. I'm not suggesting that
we consider this tool necessarily but simply the technological resources
of the 'entire' community.

I'd like to hear from our international members about their technology
constraints (e.g. what type of connection you have, how long you could
spend per week on-line before the costs become prohibitive, etc...).

jim