[Xmca-l] Re: Memory, aging and culture

Ah. That explanation helps a lot.

It seems like your question is going to be very difficult to answer with
any certainty- I will be interested to see if anyone out there in xmcaland
can suggest references or research. The first issues that come to mind for
me that might be part of the picture include the status of old
age in the society in question (in simplest terms, revered versus
dismissed) and life expectancy.

I am reaching an age where not only do I experience "senior moments" (which
suggests one
look for lexical markers of a special concern) but where many people I know
or my friends
know, who are suffering from Alzheimers. It is hard to imagine someone in
rural Liberia (an example society where the elderly are both revered and
pretty scarce owing to disease and associated perils) being awfully
concerned about memory problems in old age.

All those "co-variates" of age-related memory loss make it difficult to
tease out the causes and consequences of cultural sources of loss.

mike