Re: [xmca] Operations

Dear Colleagues,
On a different note, please consider signing this petition to
preserve human assessment (assessment by humans instead of by A. I.) of
essay  test questions.

http://humanreaders.org/petition/index.php

Would you also consider adding it to your social network page as well?

Humanely,
Robert Lake

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 1:07 AM, Larry Purss <lpscholar2@gmail.com> wrote:

> Michael, your comment, "the knowing is in the act and in the act's
> relationship to response" indicates a balance between act and response. I
> question if the centrality of "response" may be more primary than the
> initial act?
> Manfred's notion of "expressive signs" may be interpreted as emphasizing
> "response" as the way we come to "know".
>
> Larry
>

> On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 8:10 PM, Glassman, Michael <glassman.13@osu.edu
> >wrote:
>
> > Hi Andy,
> >
> > I think it is perhaps a jump to say that knowledge of the world, or
> > knowing, comes from a mental image. To act with purpose we first must
> think
> > about what we want to do or where we want to go, and then do it.  It
> seems
> > to me this places the individual as the point of origination for
> activity.
> >  I think, at this point, I would say two things about this.  The first is
> > that we can never know what images exist in the individual "mind" to
> begin
> > with.  This is especially true of the infant, the child without speech.
>  So
> > to conjecture about the infant's individual mind one way or the other
> seems
> > a difficult proposition.  But perhaps more important, do you want to
> place
> > knowing in the action that a human takes, or place it in the mind as a
> > "motivation" for action (I think, therefore I am?).  The knowing is in
> the
> > act, and in the act's relationship to response.  I always thought the
> > strongest part of Piaget's ideas was his notion of sensori-motor.  The
> > movements of infants, or even neonates, are driven by the pleasure it
> > affords them.  The body, the senses recognize the pleasure and reach out
> > for me, and more pleasure is given in response.  It is the start of our
> > life long "project" or projection.  Maybe it is not pleasure, but it is
> > something, and it is something the children is reaching out for, and an
> > image of what it is is not really needed, it seems to me, to establish an
> > aim, the knowing is in our senses.
> >
> > Michael

*Robert Lake  Ed.D.
*Associate Professor
Social Foundations of Education
Dept. of Curriculum, Foundations, and Reading
Georgia Southern University
P. O. Box 8144
Phone: (912) 478-0355
Fax: (912) 478-5382
Statesboro, GA  30460

 *Democracy must be born anew in every generation, and education is its
midwife.*
*-*John Dewey.