If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
Error 403
www.marxists.org
Sun Mar 24 01:19:23 2013
Apache

________________________________
 From: Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net>
To: "eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity" <xmca@weber.ucsd.edu>
Sent: Sunday, 24 March 2013, 5:17:53
Subject: Re: [xmca] Polls are closed: Manfred Holodynsk's article is choice

    "Newton gave physics an express warning to beware of metaphysics, it

    is true,

    but to his honour be it said, he did not by any means obey his own

    warning."

    http://www.marxists.org/reference/archive/hegel/works/sl/slbeing.htm#SL98n1

Martin Packer wrote:

> Ay, señor!

> On Mar 23, 2013, at 2:11 PM, mike cole <lchcmike@gmail.com> wrote:

>> No pica!!

>> On Saturday, March 23, 2013, Martin Packer wrote:

>>> I though you wanted to *avoid* metaphysics, Andy!

>>> Martin

>>> typing mistake! :(

>>> Theory differs from yours and that of ANL.

>>> personally felt sense". Rather I use Hegel's approach in which the

>>> Individual and Universal are mediated by the Particular. This is a relation

>>> which is applicable not just to motives, but any concept. It allows the

>>> meaning of the situation to be something which is *realised*. This word

>>> "realised" is what Wiulliam James would have described as a

>>> "double-barrelled word" (following Charles Dickens' "double barrelled

>>> compliment), in that it means both "realised" in the objective sense of

>>> "made real", as in "The plan was at last realised when the judge delivered

>>> his verdict," and subjective in the sense of "woke up to", as in "I

>>> realised that my efforts to reconcile with my wife were doomed to failure."

>>> I believe that this resolves certain problems which arise in Actvity

>>> Theory, but remaining within the Activity approach as outlined in your

>>> excellent paper.

>>> are a lot of aspects already discussed and I have some difficulties to

>>> follow all lines of argumentation. Therefore, I would like to answer to the

>>> following:

>>> activity.

>>> focused especially on his concept of macrostructure of activity and its

>>> levels of activity that is related to motives, actions that are related to

>>> goals and operations that are related to the conditions under which an

>>> action is given. And Andy gets precisely to the heart of it when he stated

>>> that my article needs to be read with attention to motivation and how the

>>> macrostructure of an activity is related to the motives and goals of an

>>> individual. One activity can be realized by different actions, and one

>>> action can realize different activities.

>>> be inferred/learnt. Emotional expression and experience signal the success,

>>> failure, frustration, expectation, etc. of goals and motives for both

>>> participant/observers and the individual subject themself, emotion is tied

>>> up with motives and goals and therefore with the structure of an activity.

>>> One and the same action could be part of different “”actions activities (!)

>>> (MH)””. It is the emotions which signal (internally and externally) the

>>> success, etc., etc., that is, in an action's furthering an activity, and it

>>> is this which makes manifest and actual that connection between action and

>>> activity, for both the observer/participant and the individual subject.

>>> intelligent infants, etc."

>>> What's the goal?

>>> greet his followers and to hold a speech. That's the goal. What is the

>>> activity?

>>> part of a political activity in order to celebrate the election victory.

>>> So, if the leader also feels pride and enthusiasm about the victory there

>>> is coincidence between the publically assigned meaning and the personally

>>> felt sense of the situation. However, it may also be possible that he

>>> doesn't feel pride but a great burden and he personally feels to be

>>> overloaded with the duties and future expectations. Then the societal

>>> meaning assigned by the followers to this situation and the personal sense

>>> assigned by the leader himself are not congruent. The leader framed this

>>> situation under an achievement perspective whether he is able to fulfill

>>> the leadership.

>>> an advanced level of activity e.g. in children or adults, but not in

>>> infants who start to have intentions but still not a mental image of a

>>> future state of affairs.

>>> level in older children:

>>> actions. In the first weeks one can observe

*Andy Blunden*

Home Page: http://home.mira.net/~andy/

Book: http://www.brill.nl/concepts

http://marxists.academia.edu/AndyBlunden