Re: [xmca] Polls are closed: Manfred Holodynsk's article is choice

Robert, if I were to suggest that "mirror neurons" are a metaphyical belief which have no more basis in existence than phlogiston or ether, would that actually change anything? Have you ever been misled by the mistaken observation of "mirror neuron" activity, or has observation of a mirror neuron ever explained some otherwise inexplicable event? So far as I know, leaving aside surgical intervention, neurons only react to other neurons by direct electrochemical interaction.
Andy

Robert Lake wrote:
Hi everyone,
I am a relative newcomer to CHAT research, so this (mostly rhetorical) question is probably old hat to many of you. It concerns Holodynski's article as it may or may not relate to the notion of mirror neurons as described by Ramachandran.

http://www.ted.com/talks/vs_ramachandran_the_neurons_that_shaped_civilization.html

If I understand this correctly, in Holodynski's view, a caregiver mirrors back to the child, his or her own emotions through gesture and facial expressions. What if the child's emotions/expressions fall into the range of autism spectrum disorders? Can ZPD's be created that in turn help create and develop "empathy" neurons in us regardless of our age level? Are there some cultures that are more emotionally and perhaps empathically evolved?

Thank-you MCA team and Professor Holodynski for this article. I think it represents the a key component for the future of cultural/historical research.

Fascinated and curious,
Robert Lake