Re: [xmca] Polls are closed: Manfred Holodynsk's article is choice

Think of your illustration,Martin, about whether, in opening the window, you were acting as a technician or moral leader. I.e., the meaning of the action lies in the activity of which it is a part, which is not immediately given. Manfred does not refer this to "intention" or "belief". Manfred is quite specific that the signalising and self-perception of an action in relation to an activity - i.e., an action's being of this and not that activity - is a function played by emotion. Concepts like internal state and intention are derivative from operation/action/activity, not fundamental.

Andy

Martin Packer wrote:
Hi Mike,

Yes, I'm not clear how exactly Manfred is proposing that emotions regulate an activity system. I can see that they can regulate an activity in the everyday sense.

Martin