Re: [xmca] imagining doing an activity

Mike, here is what Manfred says about infant smiling and parents mirroring the child's smile:

   As cross-cultural studies have shown, parents from different
   sociocultural contexts value different
   socialization goals and strategies. These strategies, in turn,
   depend on culture-specific
   ethnotheories of parenting that specify what is considered to be
   appropriate contact with one’s
   infants (Keller et al., 2006; Keller, Völker, & Yovsi, 2005) and
   influence the interactional parenting
   practices that parents apply (see Demuth, this issue; Kärtner et
   al., this issue; Keller & Otto,
   2009).
   The differences in these practices can be observed in a
   cross-cultural comparison of the development
   of social smiling in the young infants of middle-class mothers in
   the German city of
   Münster and rural Nso mothers from Kumbo in the northwest of
   Cameroon (Wörmann et al.,
   2012). During free interactions, the urban German mothers
   particularly preferred dialogic communication
   with their 6- and then 12-week-old infants. This was based on
   positive emotional
   expressions with smiles and a friendly intonation. Rural Nso
   mothers, in contrast, preferred a
   prompt satisfaction of their infant’s bodily needs but considered
   face-to-face interactions to be
   unimportant. In line with these different ethnotheories, German
   mothers and their 12-week-old
   infants not only smiled at each other more frequently but also
   imitated the smiling of the other
   more frequently than Nso mothers and their infants, who only
   occasionally displayed social
   smiling.
   The study also shows how dialogic, *face-to-face interactions
   between infants and parents
   are not practiced to an equal extent across all cultures*,
   indicating that conclusions based on
   such behavior cannot be generalized without further empirical
   research (see White, this issue).
   Several cross-cultural studies have demonstrated how different
   educational practices lead to different
   frequencies and features of expression (Cole, Bruschi, & Tamang,
   2002; Friedlmeier &
   Trommsdorff, 1999; Lewis, Takai-Kawakami, Kawakami, & Sullivan,
   2010). (p. 27)

mike cole wrote:
Seems relevant to me, Eric. I am not sure what the reference to emotional
neurons in the article is,presumably something sub cortical, but the
mirroring effect seems to be important to Manfred's account.

Mike