From: xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu [mailto:xmca-bounces@weber.ucsd.edu] On Behalf Of Andy Blunden
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2013 12:22 AM
To: eXtended Mind, Culture, Activity
Subject: Re: [xmca] Polls are closed: Manfred Holodynsk's article is choice

Who's against being "interested in" the brain, Vera?
And what is "materialist" about explaining human behaviour by postulating unobservable and uncontrollable mechanisms in a brain you or I will never see? That sounds almost like the definition of idealism to me (As in Thesis on Feuerbach #1). Take a phenomenon, and posit a metaphyical cause especially for that phenomenon, problem solved.
"Mirror neurons" are a simplistic reification of the idea of biological determination of social behaviour, obviating the need for any investigation of activity. Children imitate, therefore there are "imitiative neurons" in the head. I believe in God therefore I have God-neuron? If this is materialism I prefer idealism.

Andy