Re: [xmca] Re: microgenesis?

Mike
You wrote:
The big trick as the matter is usually formulated is that you first get the
decoding right and then when it is automated or as it is automated, reading
as comprending/interpreting the world emerges. That is sort of the Jean
Chall approach, which should not be dismissed although I disagree with
it;she was a very experienced, smart, scholar. But the problem with
treating things in this level 1-level 2, lower-higher, order in organizing
acquistion is that you are missing the "structure of the whole" at the
beginning, reducing, too often, acquistion of reading to stimulus-response
learning.

I want to explore an approach to reading which focuses on what is termed a
*bridge* between top down and bottom up approaches. This approach is
*repeated readings* which develops *fluency*

Fluency as a construct is most often discussed as developing rate and
accuracy. However, I believe the central focus on repeated reading as an
approach should be on *prosody*
I want to suggest that prosody can be seen within a germ cell theory where
*reading* as reading the world is central. However this *world* rather than
be described as *environment* or *context* is seen as reading a life-world
that is dialogical. Prosody within this theoretical approach is a feature
of all linquisticality and is a universal aspect of languaged communicative
acts as *utterances*  Utterances as the extra-linquistic *turn taking*
which accompanies language. Prosody within this dialogical [maybe
dia-lytical??]  communicative acts/utterances *signals* the turn taking
within germ cell worlds of communicative acts/utterances.

The technique of repeated readings within a ZPD allows the student, with
each reading, to more closely approximate reading as germ cell [AS
utterances within turn taking.] The teacher does not have to know precisely
what aspect of reading [top down or bottom up] is being engaged with each
reading but the dynamic assessment of reading within the ZPD focuses on
*prosody* as a window into the student *showing* he or she is participating
within a dialogical life-world of utterances [as turn taking communicative
acts.

This way of understanding *reading* as germ cells looks to Gadamer and
Bakhtin, and Wertsch as seeing *reading* as conversational turn taking
within worlds of linquisticality.

Mike, I am describing my experience with repeated readings as a form of
scaffolding but what I'm pointing to is the centrality of prosody for
expressing life-worlds in print.

I'm working my way through the two articles but Greg's notion of
lytic & lytical as dissolving previous structures in the forming of new
formations I believe can be developed within the germ cell of *prosody*
as answerability [see Deborah Hicks article on answerability in the MCA
journal]

Larry