Re: [xmca] Re: microgenesis?

So this thread does not die ...
You said, Mike, "So I am seeing the same solution to thinking about the ontogeny/microgenesis relationships by analogy with the phylogeny/cultural-history relation."

I don't see the analogy there. Phylogeny and ethnogeny are two (overlapping and mutually determining) processes with two very distinct material bases, viz., genes and artefacts. But learning to read/write and development of abstract thinking (and other leading activities in a developmental ZPD) is not such a relation, it is a relation between critical phases and lytic (gradual) phases of development. This is quite a different relationship.

The analogy I would see for something which couold be called microgenesis would be the /situation/: a concept develops momentrily in a person and their actions in a situation. The situation is not a factor in phylo- or ethnogensis, it essentially belongs to the very short time scale, and its material basis is activity. I grant that no-one might use "microgenesis" in that way and no-one may be doing research into that process these days. I don't know. But the situation is a distinct material basis for development and one on which Vygotsky did a great deal of work. On the other hand, I think /all/ processes of development have both critical and lytical phases (c.f. Gould's punctuated evolution).

What do you think?

Andy
mike cole wrote:
Lots of important stuff in your messages, thanks David.

I think where we are passing each other and discoordinating is that I am talking about the process of learning to read and alphabetic script, as a microgenetic process, or as a development occuring under particular cultural constraints.

So I am seeing the same solution to thinking about the ontogeny/microgenesis relationships by analogy with the phylogeny/cultural-history relation (your sociogenesis).

Another way of getting toward the same goal is to ask, are processes
occurring in a zone of proximal development, whatever that is, an ontogenetic or a microgenetic time scale? Of course the former is a moment in the latter, but to me the answer is yes. If the answer is yes,
how do we think about obuchenie and development at that time scale

If we can get into the same temporal space, perhaps we can continue to narrow down the differences to the point where we could declare agreement and then move on to seeing if we can increase the area covered by the light that we have concentrated on that problem.
mike