Re: [xmca] Taking culture into account/Doing harm?

Can I say that I think you guys drifted off topic? Within a culture, surely, there are institutions, practices, within which to raise these kinds of issue and try to resolve them. That's not to say the debate is easy, but everyone knows that it happens, and knows roughly how to do it (courts, government, etc.)

What I thought you began with was the question of on what basis evaluation can be made of one culture from another. Suppose we all agree, here in 'our' culture, that circumcision is bad. Do we then have a basis from which to criticize another culture that practices circumcision; where perhaps it is considered good?

As Greg pointed out, Greg is one cultural psychologist (or psychological anthropologist) who says we do not have that basis. I don't completely agree with him. (But I can see the contradiction of critiquing a culture that practices one kind of circumcision, when I live in a culture that practices another kind of circumcision.)

Martin