Re: [xmca] Direct Instruction: observations at Djarragun college, Cape York, Australia

Michael Glassman:
"I don't think you can think of it as a continuum.  Legos were simply not
designed for instruction and they don't work in terms of instruction."

Nice point. I have used LEGO with disadvantaged kids and the best thing was
to just model it. ie. start building myself and having fun, they all joined
in of course.

Makes me think that I have to look closer at the nature of my alleged
continuum. I think the Dennett reference addresses this, see  my reply to
Helen. We import representation of tools into our inner environment. I also
remember an essay by Doug Hofstadter on the nature of creativity:
Variations on a Theme  as the Crux of Creativity, in his book Metamagical
Themas. I think such a continuum could be constructed even though it might
end up looking a bit crooked!