Re: [xmca] Alfred Schütz

Larry, I do not at all see gestures as an "outer" form. In essence, gesturing is no different from uttering a word. Each has an inner nature in the psychic processes generating the action, and an outer nature in the ideality or social significance of the word or gesture.

Andy

Larry Purss wrote:
Andy, Martin
I appreciate both of you taking the time to guide me in my attempt to go deeper into the materiality and ideality of words. I am not in a position to form my own opinion on this theme but I seem to be filling out my ZPD a little on this complex subject. At this point the distinction between
 inner form as the *psychological* aspect of an action
contrasted with
inner form as gesture [or enactment] that is always embodied and displayed as a particular *style* Both these perspectives on inner form view a word *as* an action BUT where they locate the action is open for further reflection. Andy, the article Martin suggested I read by Elena Cuffari I found very helpful in clarifying the centrality of gesture as profoundly implicated in the formation of meaning. Meaning as formed within multiple modalities. Gesture, not as *romantic* and *natural* but rather gesture as socioculturally and conventionally forming meaning as a dynamic process between Merleau-Ponty's notions of sedimentation and spontaneity. Elena is exploring another aspect of intersubjectivity and challenging our canonical versions of what is assumed to be natural [and romantic] and what is sociohistorical in our notions of language and gesture. Elena is suggesting her style of HOW she perceives gesture and language as multi-modal *ensembles* of meaningful action need to be viewed as ambiguously interrelated and not as antithesis or dialectical. Andy, Martin I hope this topic will continue to be playfully and reciprocally explored and will put in play the various cognitive paradigms as contrasted with the more enactive, gestural, stylistic embodied notions of meaning formation. Inner form as it is understood and interpreted and debated dialogically seems to be an excellent entry point to further interpretation and possible fusion of horizons in our understanding the centrality of language in human becoming. P.S Martin, I emailed Elena Cuffari and asked if her dissertation [completed in 2011]is in the public domain as I do appreciate the wonderful way she explores the various traditions and deepening theconversation between the traditions. [I recognize Gadamer's notion of hermeneutical reciprocal play in her style] XMCA is such a wonderful community for *thinking out loud* and I want to acknowledge my appreciation for the spirit of inquiry incorporated on this site. It incarnates another modality of meaning making in a reciprocal conversation and generating meaning. Thank You Larry