Re: [xmca] book "Going Solo"

...and the UK.

Bruce R

Andy Blunden wrote:
and not just America, Larry! The sUame thing is happening in Australia.

Andy

Larry Purss wrote:
A new book is describing some statistics that I find amazing.

I watched the author interviewed on the Charlie Rose show.
 Here is the link to the book
http://books.google.ca/books?id=cz6wrxjEimAC&printsec=frontcover&dq=going+solo+klinenberg&hl=en&sa=X&ei=5c97T_qGIuOwiQKXmMAy&ved=0CDIQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=going%20solo%20klinenberg&f=false

I'm extremely critocal of his point tof view but in this case "statistics" seem to be pointing to what I personally believe is a disturbing phenomena.
Klinberg states 28% of all residences in the USA are now occupied by a
single person.  In the large cities the percentage is 40% of all
residences. In the largest cities such as New York fully half of all
residences are occupied by a single occupant.

This *fact*, if it can be verified, suggets something profound [and I think
profoundly disturbing] about *trends* in America.

Larry