Re: [xmca] Special issue on Vygotsky's legacy: groundbreaking discoveries in PsyAnima, Dubna Psychological Journal (Tool & Sign/Symbol comments)!

Some comments on Tool and Sign, first published in Russian in 1984, and in English in 1994:

1. No diagrams whatsoever in the Russian publication of 1984 can be found.

2. We do not know what Vygotsky was -- or was not pushing -- since we have NO evidence that he was aware of the existence of this text, whether under the title "Tool and sign" or "Tool and symbol" or any other else. For the list of all half dozen titles or so under which the text was published see: http://www.psyanima.ru/journal/2011/4/2011n4a1/2011n4a1.pdf , table 3, page 22

3. The claim is made
(a) on the basis of analysis of Vygotsky's own autobiographies and bibliographies that he prepared himself:
- the author did not consider the work later published as Tool and Sign/Symbol among his major works

(b) on the basis of the language of the English text:
- the text could not have been finished by 1930, and, -- due to highly eclectic mixture of "reactological"/"reflexological" (Vygotsky's mechanistic period of "instrumental psychology" of 1920s) and, on the other hand, "systemic" notions (Vygotsky's period of 1930s, radically different from the period of the 1920s) -- the English text was somewhat mechanically augmented by somebody else with several paragraphs of the later period here and there

(c) on the basis of  testimony of a witness, Russian text structure, specifically, numerous almost verbatim repetitions, and linguistic features of these repetitions:

- the Russian text is a second translation from English and results from unprofessional editorial combination of the translated texts of two (or more) translators

Last note: not all Vygotsky's works were finished and actually published by their author, which indeed happened from time to time in the history of science.

However: the scope and the graveness of editorial interventions into the text raise pretty serious concerns about these texts authenticity and reliability.

For discussion please see:

van der Veer, R. & Yasnitsky, A. (2011). Vygotsky in English: What still needs to be done [html && pdf]. Integrative Psychological and Behavioral Science, 45(4), 475-493; DOI: 10.1007/s12124-011-9172-9

http://www.springerlink.com/content/278j5025767m2263/fulltext.html OR

http://www.springerlink.com/content/278j5025767m2263/fulltext.pdf

For examples of editorial interventions see:
Mecacci, L., & Yasnitsky, A. (2011). Editorial Changes in the Three Russian Editions of Vygotsky's Thinking and Speech (1934, 1956, 1982): Towards Authoritative and Ultimate English Translation of the Book. PsyAnima, Dubna Psychological Journal, 4(4), 159-187
http://www.psyanima.ru/journal/2011/4/2011n4a5/2011n4a5.pdf ;

AND

Zavershneva, E., & Osipov, M. E. (2010). Osnovnye popravki k tekstu "Istoricheskij smysl psikhologicheskogo krizisa", opublikovannomu v sobranii sochinenij L.S. Vygotskogo (1982-1984) [Main editorial interventions in the text of "Historical meaning of psychological crisis" published in the collected works of L.S. Vygotsky (1982-1984)]. Voprosy psikhologii(1), 92-102.

(This publication is unfortunately not available online either in English--no translation exists--or in the original, in Russian).

AY

P.S.
For discourse analysis of a repeated fragment in the Russian text see:
Yasnitsky, A. (2011). "I Wish You Knew From What Stray Matter...": Identifying the set of Vygotsky's major oeuvre and determining the chronology of their composition. PsyAnima, Dubna Psychological Journal, 4(4), 1-52 (In Russian)
http://www.psyanima.ru/journal/2011/4/2011n4a1/2011n4a1.pdf
Table 5, page 28

For the representation of the structural features of the Russian/English texts and the schematic visualization of all repeated fragments see:
Kellogg, D. & Yasnitsky, A. (2011). The differences between the Russian and English texts of Tool and Symbol in Child Development. Supplementary and analytic materials. PsyAnima, Dubna Psychological Journal, 4(4), 98-158
http://www.psyanima.ru/journal/2011/4/2011n4a4/2011n4a4.pdf
Figures 1 and 2, pp. 101 and 102 respectively; the rest might be of interest, too.

For a relatively brief summary of the findings on the chronology of Vygotsky's main works composition and their relative importance to the author see:
Yasnitsky, A. (2011). The Vygotsky That We (Do Not) Know: Vygotsky’s Main Works and the Chronology of their Composition. PsyAnima, Dubna Psychological Journal, 4(4), 53-61
http://www.psyanima.ru/journal/2011/4/2011n4a1/2011n4a1.1.pdf