Re: [xmca] Peter Smagorinsky on concepts

Hello Huw, Andy

I'd  use 'generate' rather than 'works' - and I wouldn't use 'mirror'. The
two domains ( of the thought experiment and that of actuality in praxis
,living) are relate not through 'complete description of particulars of
actuality' (we cannot fully capture all detail of living) corroborating
some image 'mirrored' -; but the relation is through 'operational
coherences' ( to use Maturana's expression) of praxis of living , or
'criterion of acceptability' that we use in listening to accounts in our
'languaging' in conversations about experience. Just to say that this does
not reduce to the domain of  our physiological living, actuality is
experienced 'in between'.

Second on systems: I find helpful that 'system'  as notion is in our
'thought experiment domain' , not existing 'in the world' , so I'm confused
trying to interpret

"All systems comprise of material relations".

I am distinguishing a 'static' use of system , where to talk of parts and
whole is not a dynamic analysis ; and a relational use - where relations
afford identity ( not parts ).  Is the identify affording capacity
'material' in your sense?

Apologies for the interruption both..
 Christine

Relevant Maturana paper: