Re: [xmca] Peter Smagorinsky on concepts

On 16 January 2012 23:18, Andy Blunden <ablunden@mira.net> wrote:

> Huw, I think words do not have "pragmatic force". For that you have to go
> something like sentences.

One area I don't think I've come across in my readings of Vygotsky on this
distinction, is the case where sentences comprises a single word.
Yesterday my son put down his spoon on his baby chair, raised his arms up
high and called out "Dada!".  I think he was uttering a sentence.

> Vygotsky says that a word is a sign for a concept. The utterance of a word
> does not therefore have pragmatic force on its own, as you say, but by
> means of its semiotic properties, contributes to the pragmatic force of a
> sentence or other more extended utterance. That's how I'd see it. The odd
> thing is that a concept is a unit which is greater than a sentence, even
> though a word is less than a sentence, and yet one is the sign for another.

This seems efficient and effective to me.  Although I'm only guessing at
your means of comparison -- complexity of logical predicates in this case.

> The same applies to the relation between activity and action.

I can't follow this unless I know how you're comparing them --- simple
strategies guiding highly intricate tactics/operations?

Thanks,
Huw